Friday, August 12, 2016

Graphic Novels & Doujinshis




Supreme: Blue Rose by Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay
The watercolors bleed into each other, much like time in the story. I love the story. It did not take long for me to be drawn in. The story pulls you in and out of different worlds and you're never really sure what's real. I enjoyed how color was used to reflect the different settings and worlds. It was interesting to see both muted/pale shades and florescent neons combined. The drawing plays a serious part in the story telling. It reflected the characters, timeline, and mood. Even when the drawing got a little shaky it made sense for the story.




Let's Eat Ramen and Other Doujinshi Short Stories by Naguma, Aji-chi
"Let's Eat Ramen..." is a collect of four stories with young female protagonist. Every story was about relationships: romantic or friendship. Overall it was a quick and easy read with good illustrations. I would have loved to see it in color. Stories like "You Make Me Dizzy" were perfect as stand alone stories. Others left me wanting more, especially the title doujinshi. I really want to know what happened next: how Sake develops as a person and how she continues her ramen adventures. I want to see if her life opens up all because she finally conquered her fear. The two stand out doujinshis for me were "Urameshiya" and "Let's Eat Ramen". I want to see "Urameshiya" adapted as an anime.




ODY-C, Vol. 1: Off to Far Ithica by Matt Fraction and Christian Ward
It was kind of hard to get into it in the very beginning. It became more interesting as the story moved forward and the pace quickened. It's a mix between Greek mythology and sci-fi space travel, with mostly women. I really enjoyed the gender bending. Although it started off pretty slow, by the end I wanted to know what would happen next. The gods are more interesting than the main character. Odyssia gets all the action but the story seems to be more about the gods. The hero seems more like a puppet, a toy to be played with. I really didn't sympathize with her for that reason. Odyssia was a device to move the story forward versus being an actual person. Everyone around her is more interesting. The artwork is very lively, colorful and vibrant. Although, the the actual drawings are kind of chaotic. It was not so easy on the eyes. The text was a bit too small, making it hard to read. But, it may be due to the fact that I was reading an ARC.


Post a Comment